Pages

Thursday 8 October 2015

My Haul - Walthamstow, Saturday 3rd October 2015



Walthamstow Market

I had the pleasure of visiting the bargain fabric-centre that is Walthamstow last Saturday in a great meet-up organised by the lovely Marilla.

Needless to say I was helpless to resist the wares and came away with quite a few purchases :-)!

There was a fair sized group of ladies in attendance - including Rachel & Kate from the new sewing community site thefoldline.com! If you haven't checked it out yet, then please do.

Here's my haul from the day -->

Saeed's Fabrics: Grey Rib-Knit 1.5m (£6.00/m).

Grey Rib Knit Fabric

Fabric Store (No. 80 High Street): Dark-Grey Cotton/Lycra Jersey 1.5m (£2.00/m), 3m each of Moss-Green and Navy light-weight woven cotton 3m (£1.00/m), and Navy & White Striped Ponte 1.5m (£2.00/m).

Light Weight Cottons, Navy Striped Ponte & Grey Jersey

Market Stall: 4x Standard Zips (Blue, Green & Yellow, £1 for 4), and 1x Coral Thread spool (40p).

Beads & Buttons (No. 138): 4x 10" Beige Standard Zips (4 for £1), 3x 14" Beige Standard Zips (3 for £1), and Coral Thread spool 50p.

Zips and Thred

Fabric Market (shop at No. 134): Medium-weight, dark stretch Denim 6m (£5.00/m).

Stretch Denim 1  Stretch Denim 2

The Textile Centre (No. 223-225): 
Lots of light-weight printed Viscose's, all £2.20/m - 1.5m each of: Blue & Hearts, Black & Birds, Blue & Birds and *Aqua Blue Cameras. (*I also picked up 3m on behalf of Vicki too.)

Printed Light-Weight Viscose Fabrics

I also got a quick pic in of me, my infamous pink-trolley and Saeed (of 'Saeed Fabrics' shop no less).

Me & Saeed


On the day I wore one of my latest me-mades, my 6th version of the 'Deer and Doe' FREE 'Plantain' T-Shirt pattern. And, yes I know - I've been a bad, bad blogger - I should've posted about the 5x other Plantain tee that I've made already (and the 7th & 8th that I finished earlier this week too haha!). I love this pattern it's definitely a TNT (tried 'n' true) one for me now!


Plantain T-Shirt

Happy sewing peops!



13 comments:

  1. Hey Girl. sounds like you had a great time and got some lovely material!
    Meetups are such fun, having another pair of creative eyes with you is dangerous to the wallet though!
    I was in Walthamstow a couple of weeks ago, what's happended to the material stalls? Were they still MIA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a lot of fun! "The Man Outside Sainsburys" is still trading (that stall is only there on Tues, Thurs & Sat - Sat is next to Sainsburys, the other days are outside the Halifax/Lloyds banks). I go to Walthamstow on weekdays every 2-3 weeks (not so much on Saturdays, so that might be different?). But, there are only a couple of fabric-stalls on the market itself. There are 2 or 3 haberdashery/notions stalls though. And, there's still loads of bargain fabric shops :-)

      Delete
  2. Ooh I have some of that grey rib from Saeeds too, problem is Speed mentioned it was pure cotton jersey and now I'm a little too scared to use it because precious - what will you do with yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely n super soft isn't it :-)? I'm just thinking of a pretty boring basic sleeveless crew-neck T-Shirt. Any leftovers I'll use to make ribbed necklines on things like more Linden Sweatshirt tops. P.S. I hope that you find something cool to make with your piece :-)!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I live in Walthamstow and am so aware of how lucky I am! What a great haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I think I'd be in serious trouble with my bank manager if I lived in Walthamstow, plus my poor Hubby would forget what I looked like as I'd be in the shops so often buying fabric :-) :-) :-).

      Delete
  4. Wow, I defy anyone to go to Walthamstow and leave empty handed. The pickings are too good. I love that blue and white striped ponte you picked up. Thanks for including the street numbers, that's really useful. I was there a few weeks ago and nabbed some of that blue with white birds viscose. The Textile Centre has some lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms as I haven't been there in ages now ;-)!

      Delete
  5. Wow, Walthamstow looks like fabric heaven. I finally got myself to Goldhawk Road this summer but didn't have time to do Walthamstow as well. I love the viscose fabrics that you bought in the Textile Centre.Your Plantain is really nice. It looks like a simple sew and that it wouldn't use much fabric. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walthamstow is great - it doesn't have the breadth and depth of offerings that Goldhawk Road has - but it makes us for it in terms of price!!

      Delete

Hi there! If you would like to be notified by email when I (or anyone else) replies to your comment please click the 'Subscribe by email' link under this comment box.